In celebration of Wild BlueBerry Festival, we are writing about our own red fife blueberry muffins and the foods that we love to add blueberries to. We've put together two recipe cards and we know you're going to really enjoy them.
WILD BLUEBERRY TARTS
1 cup red fife bran flour,
1 cup a.p. flour,
1/2 tsp. salt,
¾ cup unsalted butter,
1 Tbls cider vinegar
4 tbls cold water.
4 cups wild blueberries,
1/4 cup lemon juice,
3/4 cup sugar.
1) In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, place the flours, sugar, salt and butter inside. Pulse until it resembles coarse crumbs.
2) With the processor running add the cider vinegar and 4 tbls cold water. Process until the dough comes together. Wrap in saran and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3) Place 4 cups blueberries in a pot. Add the lemon juice, sugar and water to the pot. Simmer in a medium low heat for 20 minutes or until the berries have softened.
4) Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with cold water. Add to the blueberries and stir gently.
5) Roll the dough out to a ¼ inch thickness. Cut into 4” circles and place in the wells of a well greased muffin tin. Fill each shell ¾ full with the blueberry mixture.
6) Bake at 350 degree F. for 20 minutes or until the crust is browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing tarts from the pan.
BLUEBERRY BRAN MUFFINS
452 grams 2 cups regular sour cream
14 grams 2 teaspoons baking soda
16 grams 4 teaspoons baking powder
220 grams 1 cup brown sugar.
240 ml 1 cup vegetable or other oil
2 2 large eggs
120 grams 2 cups Red Fife Wheat Bran
260 grams 2 cups Red Fife Flour
150 grams 1 1/2 cups or more of blueberries
1. Place the sour cream, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix well.
2. Add the brown sugar, oil and eggs and mix well.
3. Add the Red Fife Wheat Bran and Red Fife Flour and mix until just moistened. Add blueberries. Mix to just distribute the blueberries throughout the batter.
4. Scoop the batter into greased muffin tins (or you can use paper muffin liners). For muffins with a nice generous muffin top, scoop a generous portion above the muffin tin line.
5. Bake in a 325 (165 C) degree pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until, when lightly pressed on top, it springs back.